Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Summer adventures...in our backyard!



Yesterday was the first day in weeks that the air was not thick with humidity. The first day that you could be ouside, even if you were not in the shade or water. Finally a day that the temperature was not close to hitting three digits. When you stepped out you could actually feel like you could breath...there was a breeze!  We needed a day like this!

The kids, myself, the dog and even one of our cats (for part of the way) set out on this cool 80-ish degree day for what turned into, an adventurous walk!


We live in a small rural lake community. However, right now we have no water. There is a path that circles the 2.5 mile lake, complete with docks, benches and bridges. It is a beautiful walk.

I must admit that I enjoy the beauty of our water-less lake right now. There is a small stream patiently waiting to be overflowed again, and to have life living in it. Yet all around this stream there is life and beauty! Grasses, flowers, moss, tree stumps, drift wood, and cattails. Sitting on one of the docks and looking out you could almost imagine you are somewhere else. Perhaps in a bog in Nova Scotia, or at least that is what I imagine!


We walk the short distance from our home to where the path begins. We visit our row boat. Not sure why, but my kids love to visit it. The poor boat is lonely, it has not been used in three summers. We argue again over the color of the boat. "It's black", "no it's green!" I am pretty sure it is gray.

We say goodbye to the boat and continue on our way.

Soon be are startled by a beautiful, unexpected site. A Blue Heron. Who also is waiting for life to come back into the water. Had we known this bird was only a few feet from us, we would have had our camera ready. How a bird that large can be so graceful and elegant in flight amazes me. We saw our friend a few more times during our walk.

Brenna had control of Adisen (our dog) and just after we crossed a bridge she spied a chipmunk. It was rather funny seeing my skinny, all legs, daughter trying to hang on to the leash and control the dog. Adisen ended up chasing the chimpunk over a small bank leading to the lake and getting caught in a thorn bush. Thankfully Brenna let go of the leash so I only had to untangle the dog. That was fun.

We continued on.

I love seeing things through my kids eyes. I don't know why I don't take the time to do that more. The beauty of a bug, which then has to be given a name. Seeing their excitement over finding nuts on the path and wondering what animal was eating them. Counting the chipmunks and squirrels as we go along. Picking up twigs and using them as swords. Seeing if they can get a leaf to balance on the dog's head. The simple joys!

We rested for a bit on a dock and heard a sound in the weeds. We didn't investigate but we are certain in was a snake.

With Ethan now serving as "Captain of the dog"  we crossed another bridge. We were twenty feet away from the next one, when three deer (who had been resting in the tall grasses next to the path) jumped up and ran in front of us! Now I don't know how your dog feels about deer, but mine, I believe she loves to hate them. I was a few feet behind Ethan and the dog and started to panic. Thinking Ethan would not let go and be dragged by the dog. I started to fun towards Ethan while shouting at him to let go of the leash. Then all of a sudden I'm on the ground. Tripped by a hole. Waves of pain. All I could think was, "I don't have my phone!" My kids and my dog surround me. (Awh, my dog loves me more than she loves to hate and chase the deer!) "Are you okay mamma?!"  I wasn't sure. My right ankle was throbbing, my left big toe was throbbing, my left knee was cut up and my right shoulder wasn't feeling to good. I went down pretty hard. I told them I just needed to sit for a few minutes. My two sweet children helped me up and we continued on our walk. Just a little sore, but no broken bones!

By now we were very excited that we were having such an eventful walk! The Blue Heron, the chipmunk, the 'snake', the deer, mommy falling, the many pictures that we were taking!

Our stomachs were beginning to rumble and Adisen (our old girl) was looking pretty worn out and thirsty, so we decided to head for home.

On our walk back we encountered a beautiful pair of butterflies, some more nuts...

(this picture was taken by Brenna Genovese)


Ethan had a fall, but quickly forgot his pain when he spied a frog in our neighbor's pond!




After this adventure and everything we got to see in this short amount of time, I'm pretty sure we will be taking advantage of where we live more often!





 



1 comment:

  1. Jen, it is so good to read your blog again! Your adventure sounds like one you will all remember with delight. I'm glad you were able to walk back home! I like the photos!

    ReplyDelete