Monday, June 25, 2012


Words…
I love words.
Well, let me be more specific. I love groups of words. Not necessarily ‘stand alone’ words.
Words are powerful.

However, ‘Stand alone’ ones, I feel can be powerful in their own way. A single word has the capability to affect a person for a lifetime!

Music...

I love music.
Well, let me be more specific. I love vocal music. I tolerate instrumental music (there is a time for it).
Vocal music can be powerful. It isn’t always the talent of the person’s voice that can deliver a song. It is the lyrics. The words.

I love that songwriters can take the power of those two things, put them together and touch so many people. 

Scientific studies show that music can bring back memories.  That fact alone is pretty powerful!  A song comes on the radio…you are in eight grade again. You are in a stuffy gymnasium sitting against the wall on a sticky metal chair in your pretty floral dress. Next to you are you three BFF’s!! All eight eyes are on the fixtures on the opposite wall – boys!  Bryan Adams’  “(Everything I Do) I Do It For You” begins to play. 
A song comes on the radio…you are seeing Wayne and Garth (and their friends!) head bang in their AMC Pacer.  You would be embarrassed to admit how many times you head bang to Queen’s “ Bohemian  Rhapsody”.
Oh the memories could go on and on.

Songs can also be comforting, bring joy, laughter, praise and can cause sadness.

Songs can be reminders. You may be thinking, "Wait, Jen. Isn't that the same thing as memories?!" No.
For me a song can remind me how I am to live. How the words that come out of my mouth can affect so many.  What effect the tone in my voice, my reaction to a situation, my attitude can have on my kids. Not to mention strangers I encounter in day to day life.  
 Songs can bring His words to life in a way I can remember easier, in a way I can be reminded, in a way that I can remember to try and live my best… for Him.

One such song is this one.

“Jesus, Friend of Sinners”  by Casting Crowns
Christian or not, this song has a powerful message.

Jesus, friend of sinners, we have strayed so far away
We cut down people in your name but the sword was never ours to swing
Jesus, friend of sinners, the truth's become so hard to see
The world is on their way to You but they're tripping over me
Always looking around but never looking up I'm so double minded
A plank eyed saint with dirty hands and a heart divided

Oh Jesus, friend of sinners
Open our eyes to the world at the end of our pointing fingers
Let our hearts be led by mercy
Help us reach with open hearts and open doors
Oh Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks yours”


What will you do with the power?!
"Jesus, Friend of Sinners"







No comments:

Post a Comment