Monday, July 23, 2012

For want of a nap!

Reading my friend Beth's blog this evening, I had to chuckle. Seems we were both having the same kind of day!

http://www.bethanderson.net/blog/


Last night, around 9:30pm,  A funny feeling came over me. I didn't recognize it at first. It seemed familiar?! Yet, what was it?! It was getting stronger, stronger, stronger...yes it was motivation!!!!! Honest, true, from the heart (not because I have to) motivation!

This feeling does not come over me often.  I want to be a better housewife, writer, mom, friend, get my small business moving, yet I struggle with the balance of it all.

Don't misunderstand. I go through my day and accomplish things, but it can sometimes feel more like a duty and not a joy. When this real motivation came on me, I was feeling very excited! I was also sure it was going to last until morning, so I snuggled up on the couch for a bit and then fell asleep watching Car 54 (the old TV show, NOT the movie).

Today comes and I felt a little motivation still lingering, but it was slipping away FAST. Oh no!!!

HOW do I grab onto it?! How do I maintain this motivation?! I really want this true, honest from the heart desire to stay with me daily! I want a little joy in my home duties. Of course it's easy to find joy in playing with my kids, painting nails, reading a book, etc. but I want to find joy in the things I do not like to do too! 

Perhaps play a game and earn a reward?!

When I was young and had to wash dishes, I use to pretend that I was a cashier. The sink, soap and water were my cash register. The dishes were the items being purchased. It made that chore fun and go really fast.

Hmmmmmm?!

A nap! YES!! A nap! Oh how I love naps.

I'm not sure about the rest of you moms out there, but this mom still does not sleep throught the night. My children who are 7 & 6 still wake up and call for me. My dog who is 12, wakes me up and does not settle until I am sleeping on the couch. Still am not understanding this with her. So there are many nights that I sleep in three different locations. I honestly cannot remember the last time I slept an entire night in my bed.

If you get 5 loads of laundry done, the kitchen cleaned, and the kids occupied, you can take a nap.

As I was folding laundry I was thinking of how relieved I was at the recent flea victory and how it felt so good smelling these CLEAN clothes. It also felt good knowing that I no longer had to put these clothes away. YEAH for children being old enough to have chores! So it was simple to find the joy in the laundry today.

In between laundry I played a few levels of Mario Bros with the kids and cleaned up the kitchen. Before I knew it I had more than 5 loads of laundry done, my kitchen cleaned, play time with my kids, lunch finished and it was just after noon. Grandma had called to see if the kids could come over for a bit!

Guess what...

I took a nap today!

I felt guilty about it, but let's just take things one day at a time!


1 comment:

  1. Love it, Jen! And we were definitely in the same boat yesterday! Thanks for the link to my blog, you rock! And I also thank God for kids old enough to do chores and for the fact that I FINALLY realized they are old enough to help around the house!!! Hope you are well-rested today :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete