Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Remember to enjoy, cherish and parent!

I titled this post "Remember to enjoy, cherish and parent!" because I need the reminder every now and again.

No matter what your life looks like, no matter if you are a parent, single, etc. we need to remember to enjoy and cherish! Whether your day brings - good, bad, ugly, dirty house, fighting kids, laundry to the ceiling, your 13 year old dog running around your neighborhood in minus zero temperatures with 11 inches of snow on the ground and  you chasing her in your slippers, teething baby up at 1am, sadness, pain, low balance in your checking, sick child, the list goes on and on! Each of those things can help shape us into who we are becoming! For me, how I handle each thing given to me can shape one of the three sets of eyes watching me.

I share three pictures with you from yesterday.

Messy family room - took them less than an hour.

Innocent bystander

The play room with two out of five loads of laundry that (still) need folded and put away and two smiling faces that could not possibly be responsible for any of the mess they sit in.
 
We have rules in our house and on occasion those rules get bent. However, there is one rule that does not. The "There's nothing to do" rule. If those words come out of your mouth...Oh I so dislike those words. (Refer to picture three, if you start to feel pity, that my children could possibly have "nothing to do!") If I hear those words stated you get to do one of three things: something nice for someone in this house, draw a picture for Moises (a boy we sponsor through Compassion International)
or double chores! Plenty to do now, huh?!
I have learned a long time ago that it is not my responsibility to entertain my children (even when I only had one). I do enjoy playing with my children don't misunderstand, but it is not something I feel I must do everyday. When we do play we do a number of different things: play board games, Wii, make a snack and on occasion (like 96 plus hours together) I bring out some surprise
 activities to help keep things exciting!
 
Here are a few ideas you may want to try with your kids:
 
Scavenger Hunt
I write out about 21 clues on little sheets of paper. One clue leads to another. The kids go in a bedroom and wait while I hide everything. They get clue #1 when they come out. They have to use their brain to figure out where the clue leads. (May even throw a math problem in once in awhile!)
 
Lego Hunt
I hide minifigures throughout the house and set the timer. Whoever finds the most wins!
(We have also done this with My Little Pony's and of course Easter Eggs!)
 
Craft Bin Explosion
I get out the craft bin and no rules apply! They can create what they want!
 
Nothing really new under the sun, but fun for us!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment