Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Too "Laid Back"

A few years ago I was referred to by someone as the most "laid back person they have ever met." I took it as a compliment, I believe that is how it was intended and I'm afraid it has gone to my head.

Today, I enjoyed lunch and the company of my friend Julie, who also happens to be a pretty laid back gal. We talked about our children and chuckled as my third monkey sucked on her germy keychain.

For those that know me well, know that a trip to town is not complete without a Target run. Our local  Dots (approx. 4 stores down) is closing and having a sale, so I popped in there to check it out and then we decided to walk to Target (exercise, you know).

I wanted my load lightened a bit for shopping, so I left the diaper bag, and extra formula in the car. Elliot would be content with his glass (yes, that is a key to my little story) bottle, binky, and having a fresh diaper.  Laid back, experienced mom here.

It was nice to run into another friend and we chatted for a bit and I continued shopping. Every now and then he wanted a little sip of his bottle. I momentarily released it from my hand to his control to reach down for a box of tissues. Seconds. Crash. Shattered glass and milk throughout the entire aisle. Did I mention that this was the ONLY bottle I had with me? In case this exact scenario happens to you, here is what you do. First, you make sure baby is really secure. Second, you pick up all the big chunks of glass. Third, you make sure this happens to you in an aisle containing items that will be useful, such as Kleenex boxes that can be used to put around the spill to warn fellow shoppers. Finally, you seek assistance from Target friends, apologizing many times. I must say that they went above and beyond to help me by offering wet towels to wash my hands, telling me "you should not have picked up any of it" (I may have cut myself), "do not worry about it", "no big deal", "are you sure you are okay?!" , "I didn't know they even made glass bottles", etc.

A few minutes after we left the crash scene, Elliot decided to dirty his diaper. I just had to laugh.
We simply cruised to the baby aisle, bought a plastic bottle (ugh - yes, this coming from the same person who let her baby suck on a dirty keychain), diapers, wipes, and headed to the bathroom.

Our walk back to the car was very pleasant in the rain storm. Truly, it was. I love the rain and I love that if you look hard enough, even inconvenient things can teach you something. For instance: it's wonderful to have a "laid back" personality, but a prepared "laid back" approach is better... ALWAYS carry an extra bottle, diaper and wipes (even if it is stashed in your purse) and choose to get in extra exercise on a day that is a little more pleasant. Laugh off your mistakes, because it can always be worse.

A Fun Song


 

No comments:

Post a Comment